Thursday, December 16, 2010

#47 Learn How to Make a Really Good Omelet


So they say if you should be good at anything, it is how to cook an egg. Of course there are abundant ways to cook eggs, and I am not going to give you the tutorial. But, if there is anything that you should know how to do (after scrambling of course) it is how to make a good omelet. 

I have made an omelet many times, and I am sure many of you have to. Why is this on my list you ask? Because I like to cook. A lot. You can view my endeavors at my cooking blog, Mangoes and Chutney. One of the things a home cook should perfect is how to make an omelet...especially if he/she is married with kids. Sometimes, they come out great, other times they are runny in the middle, or they break, or...well, you get my drift. Do you have any funny omelet making stories to share? 

I basically know how to do this one, but my technique was hit or miss and sometimes successful by chance. I can always tell when my husband likes something (even when he tries to hide it if he doesn't) and the results weren't always positive. My husband and I have been together 6 years and he has gotten more honest with my food. Mostly because he knows I want feedback, secretly because he is spoiled and wants good food all the time. 


Using my membership access that I have to the Rouxbe Online Cooking School, I checked out the correct technique of how to make an omelet. Hard? No. But you have to know what you are doing if you are going to get it right. The results: I got it right! My hubby was happy and so was I. Now it wasn't perfect being the first time out of the technique box, but it was darn near close. 

#47. Done.

Go ahead and challenge yourself to make a great omelet. Hear is the basic omelet recipe from Rouxbe Online Cooking School(click image to enlarge):






No comments:

Post a Comment